November 1, 2008

Evidence of sunspot involvement in climate change compelling?

I studied global warming in college many years ago. I wrote this essay a couple of years ago, arguing that both man-made and natural causes were leading to warming trends.

Since then, some parts of the world have experienced unprecedented cooling, while other parts (portions of the poles, for example) have experienced massive melting, with huge ice sheets and glaciers breaking up.

Add to this the fact that the sun's protective "bubble" is shrinking, potentially letting in interstellar radiation, and I have to admit that the science of climate is in its infancy, and there are so many factors that it is very difficult to predict.

Bottom line: the more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know whether there will be global warming, global cooling, or warming in some regions with cooling in other regions.